Welcome to Ashwater
Ashwater is a rural parish in north-west Devon, a few miles south east of Holsworthy. It is covered by Torridge District Council, and is in the Hundred of Black Torrington and the Deanery of Holsworthy. As well as the village itself, the parish includes several hamlets, such as Henford, Quoditch and part of Ashmill, which lies directly on the boundary between Ashwater and Broadwoodwidger parishes.
The GENUKI website has a map showing all the parishes of North-West devon here, which shows that Ashwater borders on twelve other parishes. For the historically-minded, they also have a map of Ashwater parish from 1850, which is available here.
Ashwater Parish is also home to the Quoditch Moor Nature Reserve, which has its own website (click here).
Ashwater Station used to be on the stretch of the North Cornwall Railway from Halwill to Padstow, but the line closed in 1967.
The village of Ashwater lies at the South of the parish, about 1 mile off the A388 between Holsworthy and Launceston. The village has several local amenities including a school, shop with a post office, parish hall, church and pub.
At the centre of the village is the green, which has some swings for the children to play on, and is host to many village events, such as the annual Easter Egg Hunt.
There is a thriving local community, with many local events and societies.
On a clear day, both Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor can be seen from the village.